My family 's crazy about this slow cooker chili, as it does not normally have ingredients in chili. Believe it or not, I find out that the pumpkin makes the dish so unique. Cook up a huge batch and freeze a couple of times later.
- Total Time Prep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- Makes 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Cook and stir until tender, add and pepper. Cook 1 minute longer, then add garlic.
- Take the 5-qt transmission. Slow cooker; add 10 ingredients to the next one. Tiny, 4-5 hours cook covered. Top with green onions and avocado if needed.
1 cup: 192 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges : 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.