WHAT KIND OF OATS ARE BEST FOR THIS RECIPE?
You can technically make savory oats with any type of oats, but the recipe below is written for old-fashioned rolled oats, which cook fairly quickly (about 5 minutes). I find that old-fashioned oats offer a good balance between texture and convenience. Steel cut oats take much longer to cook and you will need more liquid. Quick oats cook faster but don't add much texture.
HOW TO FLAVOR SAVORY OATMEAL
Oats alone have a very bland flavor, and I think that's why they often get a bad rap. Here are some tips to make your savory oats full of flavor:
- Cook them in a very flavorful broth. I like to use Better Than Bouillon because it tends to have a vibrant flavor. Plus, it comes in many flavors and options.
- Use aromatics. A little fresh garlic or works great! Green or shallots are also great.
- Add your favorite seasoning blend. You can experiment with your favorite bottled seasonings, such as Everything Bagel Seasoning, Jerk Seasoning, Steak Seasoning, Furikake, Salt.
- Top with your favorite sauce. Try adding a little chili garlic paste, sriracha or gochujang!
SAVORY OATMEAL TOPPING IDEAS
In addition to the ingredients that can be added to your oatmeal, you can also add all sorts of delicious toppings! Here are some ideas for oatmeal toppings:
- Grape tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
- Bacon bits
- Parmesan cheese
- Fried onions
- Brussels sprouts
- Hard-boiled or boiled
- Breakfast sausage
CAN I MAKE IT AHEAD?
Yes, savory oatmeal is perfect for making ahead! You can change the number of servings in the recipe card below and the ingredients will automatically adjust for you. After cooking, divide your savoury oatmeal into individual servings and refrigerate. To reheat, simply microwave on high for about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. If the oatmeal is too thick, simply add a little water.
MAKE IT VEGAN
You can make the salted oatmeal recipe below vegan by replacing the butter with your favorite cooking oil. Coconut oil would be great here as it has a rich mouthfeel similar to butter.
Tasty oatmeal is a delicious, hearty and inexpensive meal that can be customized using whatever ingredients you have on hand.
- SERVINGS 1
- PREP 5 mins
- COOK 10 mins
- TOTAL 15 mins
- 1 clove garlic, minced ($0.08)
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ($0.05)
- 4 mushrooms ($0.62)
- 1 tsp butter ($0.04)
- 1 cup vegetable broth ($0.13)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats ($0.09)
- 1/2 cup spinach ($0.19)
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil ($0.05)
- Chop the garlic, grate the and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the butter, garlic and to a small saucepan. Sauté over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for a few more minutes, or until they are a little wilted.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot, increase the heat to medium-high and bring the stock to a boil.
- When the broth reaches a boil, add the oats and stir them in. Let the broth come back to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low. Let the oats simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- While the oats are simmering, coarsely chop the spinach. Stir the spinach into the thickened oats, along with the toasted sesame oil.
- Taste and add salt to taste, if necessary, then top with your favourite toppings. Serve hot!
- Serving: 1bowl
- Calories: 245kcal
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 9g
- Sodium: 995mg
- Fiber: 5g