This roast is one that my grandmother used to make. This method makes the juiciest chicken! We liked to nibble on the celery after it was cooked.
- Prep Time:15 mins
- Cook Time:1 hrs 15 mins
- Additional Time:30 mins
- Total Time:2 hrs
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon powder, or to taste
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 stalk celery, leaves removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken in a roasting pan; generously season inside and out with powder, salt and pepper. Place 3 tablespoons of butter in cavity of chicken; place spoonfuls of remaining butter on outside of chicken. Cut celery into 3 or 4 pieces and place in cavity of chicken.
- Bake chicken uncovered in preheated oven until no longer pink on the bone and juices run clear, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove from oven and baste with pan juices. Cover with foil and let stand for about 30 minutes before serving.