The ingredients are simple, allowing the Marsala wine to take centre stage. Onions and bell peppers compliment the sauce, while potatoes and make it a heartier dish. The best part of all? You can serve this crowd-pleasing recipe in less than 30 minutes !
- 4 breasts, skinless
- 40g/1½oz plain flour
- 50g/1¾oz butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 160g/5¾oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml (9fl oz) dry Marsala wine
- 150ml/5fl oz stock
- a small handful of chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place breasts between sheets of cling film and beat with a meat mallet or rolling pin until about 5 mm thick. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Put the flour on a plate and dip the in it to lightly coat it, shaking off the excess.
- Melt half the butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and fry the for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen paper. Heat the remaining butter and oil over medium heat and gently sauté the shallot and garlic for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the Marsala and increase the heat to high. Cook until the liquid has reduced in volume by about half. Reduce heat to medium, add broth and chicken. Cook for about 10 minutes. Serve with a sprinkling of parsley.