- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 400g/14oz), cut into even chunks
- 250g red split lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 80g bag of spinach
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, to serve
- ½ small pack of Thai basil, leaves torn, to serve
- In a big saucepan, heat the oil with a tight lid. Remove the and cook for 10 minutes, withdrawing occasionally, until softened, over low temperature. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger, cook for 1 min, add the spices and cook again for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to low, add the sweet potato, and blend together to cover the potato into a mixture of spices. Say in sunglasses, bag and seasoning. Bring the fluid to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the lenses are soft.
- Taste the seasoning and change the spinach, then stir carefully. Cover with the spring onions and basil for serving until wilted. Or cool down completely and divide the containers between airtight and store for a healthy lunchbox in the refrigerator (see tip below).
Do not top up the springs onions and basil until you are ready to eat, whether chilling or freezing. Let the dhal cool and then pop into freezable containers to freeze. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat to a flame.