Delicious little tarts with filling and a cross on top.
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Total: 1 hr 15 mins
- Servings: 24
- Yield: 24 2-inch tarts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups fresh - peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 ½ cups white
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- Delicious little pineapple-filled pies with a cross on top.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, self-rising flour and salt. Stir in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in 1 beaten and water. Bind ingredients together gently. Do not over knead. Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut 24 rounds with a 2-inch fluted cutter. Place on sheet. Spoon a spoonful of jam into the center of each piece. Decorate with crisscrossed strips of dough over jam, extending slightly beyond dough shell.
- Cut 24 more 2-inch rounds, then using a smaller cutter, cut out the centers, creating a ring shape. Moisten the edges of each dough and place the rings on top of each roll. Brush the top of the dough with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.