This recipe was first introduced at the Rachael Ray Show. Visit RachaelRayShow.com for additional recipes and videos.
This soothing side has a huge boost to a good taste and texture with fresh herbs, a touch of spice and toasted pistachios. Try to match it with a simple pasta such as Rach's Toasted Cacio and Pepe.
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pasted
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant teaspoon Acacia honey, a drizzle
- 1 tablespoon juice
- About 1 tablespoon white or red vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
For the salad:
- 4 to 5 vine tomatoes, halved and sliced 1/2-inch (wedge your cuts)
- 1 English or seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch-thick, or 4 Persian cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 small red onion, quartered and peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, quartered, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 red finger pepper or Fresno chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1 inch horseradish, or parsley root, or parsnip, finely grated
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
- For the dressing, in a small to medium bowl, whisk up garlic, salt, honey, and vinegar. While whisking, stream in oil to emulsify dressing.
- For the salad, to a larger bowl, add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, chilies and mint. Pour dressing over and toss the salad and adjust the salt. Top with horseradish and pistachios. Serve chilled or room temperature. Toss again to freshen just before you serve and drain off a bit if too much excess liquid.