Hazelnut butter grilled scallops with salad by James Martin
These scallops, delicately flavored with fresh herbs, zest and hazelnuts, can be cooked in less than ten minutes.
- Preparation time: less than 30 mins
- Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
- Serves: Serves 2
For the scallops
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled, finely sliced
- 75g/2½oz butter, softened
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 45g/1½oz hazelnuts, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 scallops, cleaned
For the salad
- ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tbsp good quality white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp good quality rapeseed oil
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 punnet pea shoots
- For the scallops, heat a skillet, add the olive oil and shallot and sauté gently until softened but not colored.
- Place the butter in a bowl and add the cooked shallot, along with all the other ingredients for the scallops. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place the scallops on a grill pan and top each scallop with a spoonful of nut butter. Place them under the grill for 3-4 minutes, or until they are cooked. Remove from the grill and let them rest for one minute.
- For the salad, mix the mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl. Place the lettuce leaves and pea shoots in a bowl, drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat.
- To serve, place three scallops on each of two serving plates and serve with a pile of salad.