This vegetarian, Greek-style pie packs a cheesy, garlic punch. Pureeing a portion of the spinach leaves means they won't collapse while cooking, giving you a seriously substantial pie that you can cut into thin slices and serve hot with crusty bread on the side. The little bit of nutmeg is essential – don't skip it!
- SERVES : 4 TO 6
- COOKS IN: 30 MINUTES
- DIFFICULTY: NOT TOO TRICKY
- 100 g pine
- 5 large free-range
- 300 g feta cheese
- 50 g Cheddar cheese
- dried oregano
- olive oil
- 1 knob of unsalted butter
- 400 g baby spinach
- 1 x 270 g pack of filo pastry
- cayenne pepper
- 1 whole nutmeg , for grating
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Toast the pine in a large ovenproof pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until golden and fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Crack the into a large bowl, crumble the feta, then grate the cheddar. Season with a pinch of black pepper and a few pinches of dried oregano.
- Finely grate the zest, pour in a little oil, then add the toasted pine nuts. Mix well.
- Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil, add half the spinach, stirring until wilted, then when there is room, add the remaining spinach, stirring regularly until wilted.
- Lay a 50 cm strip of parchment paper on a clean work surface, rub it lightly with oil and crumple it up, then flatten it again.
- Arrange 4 sheets of filo in a large rectangle on the parchment paper, overlapping at the edges so that they almost cover the parchment paper.
- Rub the filo with a little oil, sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Repeat until you have 3 layers.
- Stir the wilted spinach into the mixture, then grate half the nutmeg and mix well.
- Slide the parchment paper and filo sheets into the empty pan so that the edges overflow, then press them into the sides of the pan.
- Pour in the spinach mixture and spread it evenly, then fold the filo over the filling to cover it.
- Place the skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes, just to cook the bottom, then transfer to the top rack of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Delicious served with a fresh seasonal salad.
Nutrition per serving
- Calories 830 , 42%
- Fat 57g , 81%
- Saturates 19.9g , 100%
- Sugars 5.4g , 6%
- Salt 4.7g , 78%
- Protein 36.6g , 73%
- Carbs 42.8g , 16%
- Fibre 3.5g