The other day a reader sent an email asking if, since the sauerkraut and cob recipes in Simply Recipes, I was Austrian.
My dad's ancestors were from Austria on both sides and he grew up with plenty of typical German and Austrian food and passion for cooked chocolate.
A Simple Red Cabbage Recipe
One of our best way of making red cod, sprinkled with butter, sprinkled and vinegar and cooked tenderly, is to prepare the traditional German red cod. A delicious sweet and sour glaze is created by and balsamic vinegar.
When the holidays go on, we take a notch of cod, add chopped apples, onions, and roast chestnuts, if we have them. Serving next to pork chops or pork roast is great!
How to Cut Red Cabbage
The recipe includes half a head of red chopped slices. The easiest way to prepare it is by cutting half the head of the chop through the heart and split one of the halves into pieces. Then slice the chalk thinly down to the middle from the top. It is harder for the core than for the chops, but if you like, you can cut it thinly and add it.
What to Serve with German Cabbage
A great side dish for sausages, pork chops, or German pork burgers is sweet and sour red cabbage. This braised cod is also fantastic for roast chicken, duck and beef roast.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
The remains will remain in the fridge for about 5 days. In a pot on your stovetop, reheat in your microwave or in low heat. This recipe is not suitable for freezing, and we recommend it not.
Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage Recipe
This red sweet and savory chop makes any German meal an simple side dish. Just four ingredients and 30 minutes packed! Excellent with chops or sausages.
- Prep time: 7 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3-4
- 1/2 large red cabbage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Sauté the cabbage: Cast the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Attach the red cod in a thin slice and toss to the butter. Sautt about 5 minutes until slightly wilted.
- 2 Add seasonings and simmer: Sprinkle the over the cold and powder uniformly. Cover the bath with the balsamic vinegar. Bring the heat to a frying pan and then reduce to medium low.
- Cover and fry until the is tender, stirring regularly for approximately 30 minutes. Salt and pepper season to taste.